The Gospel

The Gospel

Saturday, November 8, 2008

Memories, like the corners of my mind


Last night I went to church like usual. Last night I went to teach at a youth event...nothing unusual there. When I got to the fellowship hall and saw all the games, food, supplies and t-shirts; I stood there and pondered and was brought to tears.

You see, everything was usual, except this was not my youth group...this was not my event. I planned 16 retreats during my tenure in New York, seven Amazing races, two RACSO nights (hahaha), two Bahama Trips, Keswick, Great Adventure, Splish Splash and more...and I have such fond memories of all of it. But that was my youth Group...this is not.

I am so glad that God has called me to be the pastor of Bethel Baptist Church and I look forward to being here for many years. But I miss those kids that grew up with me. I miss those teens who were my first and only youth group. I love teens and not just any teens...names like Bob, Nate, Danielle, Jon-O, Enrique, freekishly tall boy, Alaina and many others popped into my mind...

Memories are fun. The reminders are often exciting and can bring back a flood of emotions. But in this case they were sad...they were hard...they hurt...not because they were bad...but because they were so good and yet they seem so far away today. So Lisa, Tyler, Tricia, Nina, Kristen and the rest of you Long Islanders...keep pursuing the prize for which Christ has called you. Keep loving Jesus by loving His Church. Press on, don't give up...and know that someone in Missouri loves you all, prays for you often and looks forward to the reunion we will share in this age or the age to come.

No comments:

The Outpost - Bible Preaching (Brooke Taylor)